Monday, July 2, 2012

#BETAWARDS2012

If you missed the BET Awards 2012 this past Sunday because you thought it was going to be ratchet, you actually missed a good show (Honestly, I do not blame you for your assumptions).  But this year the BET Awards redeemed themselves 100 fold! Like any award show, there were highs and lows but there were more highs than lows.  Kanye gave us freestyle, Chaka Khan showed us that you can still rock it at 60, Mindless Behavior dissed a legend, and even Mr. Al Sharpton gave us some freestyle (“This election is not about Obama, it’s about yo mama.” Lol, I guess). 

To start this review off, I am going to start with my fav performance: Melanie Fiona.  If you follow me on Twitter my last few tweets have been about how amazing Melanie Fiona is.  Everyone describes Melanie Fiona as the most underrated artist and last night Melanie showed everyone why to underrate her is a BIG mistake.  She killed on her performance.  She sang “Wrong Side of a Love Song” and it left me speechless.  She sang the song like the person that it was about was sitting on the first row.  Sidenote: I stan for any artist that can just stand in front of a mic and slay.  Melanie, girl, you have a fan for life.  And if you have not picked it up yet, get Melanie Fiona’s second album The MF Life. You will not be disappointed.

Another part of the show that I really enjoyed was Kevin Hart’s funny spoof of the Real Housewives series, The Real Husbands of Hollywood.  I freakin’ love Kevin Hart and the spoofs shows why.  This year he had Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Anderson, Fabolous, and Faizon Love in his miniseries and it was just as funny as last year.  My fav part was when Samuel L. Jackson called Soul Plane a “slave” movie.  Seriously, I was cracking up through each spoof.

Depending on your choice of sense of humor depends on if your think this was a low point.  When Mindless Behavior and Mike Epps were presenting the Best R&B category, Mindless Behavior said that Mike Epps singing was as bad as Lauryn Hill’s tax accountant.  After the comment a gasp could be heard from the audience.  Beyonce won the award and did a shoutout to Lauryn Hill in her acceptance speech.  Rumor has it that Beyonce vented backstage about how disrespectful the joke was but not quite sure how true it is.  Honestly, award shows always take jabs at celebrities.  I cannot say that I think this is the most disrespectful comment I have ever heard on an award show (Russel Brand and Ricky Gervais have said a lot worse about celebrities). 

I cannot end this post without talking about the Whitney Houston tribute.  BET Awards get an A+ for that tribute.  I was not looking forward to hearing another artist sing “I Will Always Love You”.  I understand that it was the main song that Whitney is known for but she had a slew of  other unforgettable hits.  Monica did a beautiful job.  And Brandy…wow, I am proud of you.  Brandy helped us remember that Whitney was not just a ballad singer.  Ms. Cissy Houston gave an emotional tribute to her baby girl that almost had me in tears.  And then Chaka Khan came out singing “I Am Every Woman” to show us how the legends do it. 

I could probably write 2 or 3 more paragraphs on this awards show but I am going to end it here.  If you missed it, I am pretty sure that BET is going to rerun it like 200 times before next year’s show.

Remember to follow me on Twitter @EbonyMarieRe

No comments:

Post a Comment