Thursday, March 28, 2013

#RickRoss&RapeLyrics

Hey everybody!! I know it's been awhile since I have given a post.  But I had to come back because these artists are showing out!! This month has been the month of crazy lyrics from main stream artists.  First, we had Beyonce telling all artists to Bow Down, B!tch3$ and after she was just telling the girls last year that "Girls Run the World".  Well, Keisha Cole was not having it and tweeted about the situation, which caused an uproar in the Twittersphere.  My review of "Bow Down": Garbage, plain and simple.

Source: www.medievalbeatz.com
But I'm not here to discuss my dislike for Beyonce's new single but to put Mr. Double Ds himself, Rick Ross, on blast for his latest lyrics.  On his newest single, U.O.E.N.O, Rick Ross raps:
“Put molly all in her champagne/She ain’t even know it/I took her home and I enjoyed that/She ain’t even know it.”
 Yes... you read correctly.  Rick Ross is rapping about date rape.  When Rick Ross was asked in an interview about the lyric, he said that it was a "misunderstanding" but yet he didn't explain what the lyric was suppose to mean.  Then he goes on to say that women are queens and the hip hop community doesn't condone that type of behavior (probably was told by his record label to do some clean up). 

My main thing is this: how are we suppose to interpret that lyric?  You drugged her drink and went back to the house and played Monopoly?  Rick Ross, please save that lame excuse of "misunderstanding" for your impressionable fans.  Now, even though some young, stupid person is going to hear this lyric and thinks that it is cool to drug females' drinks, I do not believe that everybody is going to start putting mollys in people's drink.  But when you take something that is very serious and rap about it like it's nothing you are doing something dangerous: normalizing it.  As a society, we should never get to the point that we become desensitized to the seriousness of rape.  We need to understand that rape has lasting effects on it's victims.  Many victims show their strength when they speak up about their situation.  We do not need rappers trivializing their unfortunate situation. 

Give me your feedback on the song.  Remember to follow me on Twitter, @EbonyMarieRe



 

No comments:

Post a Comment