Monday, February 11, 2013

#GrammysAndFrediWashington

Hey everybody!!! And a Happy Black History Month!! For this post you will be getting a 2 for 1 combo.  I will be reviewing this year's Grammys and discussing someone for Black History Month. 

This year's Grammys was pretty good.  I felt like I had front row tickets to 12 very different concerts.  Taylor Swift opened the show with her hit "We are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together".  I am not a huge fan of hers but she did a good job.  Some wins I was excited was my homegirl's Adele winning for "Set Fire to the Rain" in the Best Pop Vocal category and Kelly Clarkson winning for Best Pop Vocal Album.  Her [Kelly Clarkson] thank you speech was everything.  When she said "Miguel, I don't know who the hell you are but I want to work together." I bout fell out my recliner.  Had a few drinks before the show, Ms. Clarkson?  I also enjoyed the Bob Marley tribute even if it did include a Bruno Mars song and only one Bob Marley song.  The performance had a lot of energy and you need that in a 3 hour long show.  Oh, and shoutouts to Jay-Z for putting The Dream on blast for wearing that swatmeat hat to the Grammys.  It was like he woke up 30 minutes before the show and just threw on the first thing he saw laying around the room.  Get it together, The Dream.


Fredi Washington (right) in Imitation of Life
I know I missed the first week but I want to try to spotlight someone or something in Black History for each week in February.  This week spotlight is on Ms. Fredi Washington.  You might have never heard of her.  If you saw the 1934 movie Imitation of Life then you know that she played Peola, the fair skinned girl who was ashamed of being black and wanted to pass as a white woman.  If you have not seen this movie, I highly recommend it.  You can probably catch it on Turner's Classic Movie channel.  Ms. Fredi Washington caught some controversy for role in the movie.  Because of her convincing performance some black people thought that in real life she wanted to pass for a white woman.  In reality, she was an civil rights activist fighting to get fairer policies for blacks in the entertainment industry. 

Washington was told often if she wanted to be successful in Hollywood she should pass for a white woman because she was so light skin.  As a proud African American woman, she firmly refuse to do such a thing. 
Ms. Fredi Washington on passing, "I have never tried to pass for white and never had any desire, I am proud of my race."
 Because of her choosing not to "pass" and not wanting to be stuck with stereotypical roles,  there was limited work for her.  She decided to work in the theater and continued to speak on racial issues.  I admire her for her bold choice during an era when just being black could get you killed.  Let this serve as a reminder to be proud of who you are regardless of your color, size, or shape. 

Stay tuned for next week's Black History Month spotlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment