Friday, June 28, 2013

#RachelJeantelKeyWitness

Hey everybody!! And a Happy Friday to you!! I could not let this week end without me writing something on Ms. Rachel Jeantel.  Now if you are not familiar with this young lady, she is the key witness in the George Zimmerman Trial.  She was the last person to speak to Trayvon before he was shot by Zimmerman.

Why Ms. Rachel Jeantel has become big news is not just because she is a key witness but because of her performance on the witness stand. 

Disclaimer: The purpose of this post is NOT to throw shade at her at all.

As I am writing this post I am having a hard time trying to figure out where I should start.  So I guess  I will just start with her whispering on the witness stand.  Why is she whispering?  For awhile, I thought something was wrong with the volume of my computer.  At times, she was even mumbling.  Like girl, what is wrong with you?  I would hate to be that person that has to type the transcript.  I would mean mug her real hard. 

Then she seemed to have an attitude the whole time.  From the moment she was sworn in to the moment she stepped down, she seemed over it.  She reminded me of what people look like in the DMV waiting area, pressed and ready to go.  It seemed to me she was more ready to go than wanting to do her best to defend her friend.  Her "side-eye" attitude was really confusing to me.  Like she had a year and half to prepare mentally and emotionally  for this and I feel she chose to have a stank attitude instead.

But what really took the cake for some folks and myself was her speech.  It does not bother that she does not talk like a Harvard Scholar.  But what does bother me is that she does not know how to switch between kicking-it-with-my-girls talk to I'm-in-a-court-of-law talk.  And you got some over zealous supporters saying she is only 19 years old.  Only 19??!!  You are technically considered an adult in the United States of America at 18!  She is 19, not 12.  She should be able to articulate herself better than what she was doing.  I bet when she with her friends she can articulate herself very well.  Does she not understand the seriousness of this trial?  Get cho life immediately.  I had to go to traffic court at 16 and I took that $200 traffic ticket more seriously than she is taking her part in this trial. 

I completely understand that she is under a lot pressure but her being 19 and English supposedly being her second or third language is not an excuse for me.  You are a grown woman and sometimes you have to do things that you do not want to do.  That is what comes with being an adult.  I am not sure to blame Rachel for her nonchalantness or the prosecution for their lack of preparing her for the defense's questions.  Whatever the case, I do not think that Rachel's performance made or broke this trial.  But this should have given parents a wake-up call to start early with making sure your children can present themselves in a mature way at least by 19, just in case they are a key witness in a major murder trial. 

What are your thoughts on the Rachel Jeantel and/or the trail so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment