Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscars 2014: Epic Selfies and Much More

If you didn't tune in to the Oscars last night because you thought it was going to be the same old boring award show, then you missed a great show that closed out the movie award season.  This year's Oscars was hosted by Ellen DeGeneres and she really knocked it out of the park.  So let's just dig into some of the great moments of last night's show:

Opening monologue:  Let's face it, the host's opening monologue makes or breaks the entire show.  It sets the tone for how well the host is going to do.  Ellen set the tone right because she gave a hilarious opening monologue.  She knows just how far to make fun of the stars in the audience without crossing the line.  I think some people might have thought she pushed it with basically calling Liza Minnelli a man but even still it was a great opening.  My favorite moment was when she called out J-Law (Jennifer Lawrence) on her infamous fall receiving her Oscar last year and suggested bringing the award to her this year if she was to win it.  Only Ellen could execute that perfectly.



Jared Leto's Acceptance Speech: Jared won Best Supporting Actor for Dallas Buyers Club.  In his acceptance speech he spoke about his mom being a young mother and still teaching her children to chase their dreams.  I should add that his mother was his date which always makes an actor a winner in my book. He also spoke about the millions of people who have lost their lives to AIDS.  I don't know much about this guy but he is a winner on many levels.  Also, can I add that Jared Leto's hair was flowing?  Can someone tell me what conditioner he uses because I need my hair shiny like that.  He must do an egg and mayo mask on his hair once a week.  Forget about the Virgin Brazilian, I'm trying to find where to purchase that Leto.

Am I the only one that is mesmerized by his locks?
Source: instyle.com
Pharrell Performs Happy: I have only recently fallen in love with this song so when I found out that Pharrell was going to perform I got real excited.    Pharrell, along with his signature Arby's hat, did a great job performing Happy on the Oscars. His performance really added some youth to the sometimes stuffy Oscars.  Not only because Pharrell doesn't age but the song itself just takes you back to being a kid. He also had kids performing with him and when they hit that Nae Nae I was hollering.  Pharrell better give the Oscars some hip hop flair.  And before I forget, did you see him shimmy with Meryl Streep and jig with Lupita Nyong'o?    Mr. Fountain of Youth, you get a "Yaaaaaassssssss" for that performance.

His performance made me happy.
Source: billboard.com
Somebody Auditioned for Sunday Best During the Oscars: During the show where they are giving awards for categories where I don't know any of the nominees is usually when I start exploring the Twittersphere. Out of nowhere I hear someone belt His Eyes are on the Sparrow and it took me awhile to gather my thoughts because I was not sure what had happened.  Apparently, it was Darlene Love who was in 20 Feet from Stardom which took home the award for Best Documentary.  And she had not one ounce of shame for her impromptu performance.  Ma'am, you better praise him.

Ellen Orders Pizza: Did I mention that Ellen was a great host?  Between the presenters, Ellen could be found in the audience rubbing elbows with Hollywood's most talented.  Ellen cracked a joke about how hungry everybody was and mention ordering pizza.  A few minutes later they are passing out pizza to stars like Brad Pitt, Kerry Washington, Meryl Streep, and J-Law.  Like they were really eating pizza at the Oscars!  The next bit was Ellen taking up an offering for the pizza using Pharrell's hat.  This woman can't get any more ridiculous!

Lupita wins Best Supporting Actress: The only reason I was watching this year's award show was to make sure that Lupita Nyong'o won.  Because if she didn't I was researching and stalking every Oscar voter and they were going to have to answer some questions for me.  However lucky for them this will not be the case because Lupita won.  What I love about her win was how gracious she was with it.  She thanked everyone, including the training she got from her parents.  I loved her final quote
"No matter where you're from your dreams are valid"
Yes, girl, my dreams are valid and my dreams are to get the same regiment you use for your skin because your face is radiant and beat.  Lupita promise me that you will continue to show Hollywood that us dark skin girls have talent and grace and deserve our spot on the big screen.  You are my shero.

"Your Dreams are Valid"
The Best Selfie Ever: Ellen decided she wanted to help Meryl Streep break another record (She currently has been nominated the most times for an Academy Award): become the most retweeted photo on Twitter. So she took this photo with Meryl, J-Law, Julia Roberts, Channing Tatum, Bradley Cooper, Jared Leto, Lupita and her brother, Brad Pitt, Kevin Spacey, and Angelina Joli.  And it truly was the best selfie ever!  It got a whooping 2.6 million retweets beating President Obama's photo he tweeted when won his second presidential term.  Yes, it was that epic.  

2.6 million retweets!!!!! 
I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but Ellen is the greatest host ever. Oscars, how about you just go head and get her to sign a contract to host the award show for life.  She really made the 3 and a half hour show bearable.

What was your favorite moment of the show?  Leave it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment