Wednesday, August 7, 2013


Hey everybody!!! And welcome to day 7 of the #31WriteNow challenge.  It's only day 7 and I already feel like I am running out of topics.  But I will continue to press on and come up with something for the remaining 24 days. 

You have probably heard the title of this post before, "Fake it to you make it."  This saying has never been more true than in the story I read this week.  A rap group from the Bronx, Da YoungFellaz, has spent $130,000 in marketing loans on weed and 1st class tickets to music festivals where they were not even scheduled to perform.  Even crazier, they spent $25,000 in 3 months and have only promoted one song! To get the details on this story, click here. 

What is this madness? Is this what we have to look forward to for the future of hip-hop?  You got people rapping about having millions but they are basically living off loans.  That sounds like some people that live in my neck of the woods.  This is a perfect example of people that want the lifestyle but do not want to work for it.  They want the fame, cars, clothes, 1st class flights, but they do not want to get in the studio and work for it or hit the pavement and promote it. 

Can I blame them entirely? Well, I will put 95% of the blame on them.  The other 5% goes to those who on a basis highlight the lives of these celebrities.  Believe it or not, there was a time when every moment of a celebrity's life was not splashed on the cover of every magazine.  People knew celebrities were rich but it was not something that everyone was trying to attain.  When magazines are plastered with photos of celebrities private vacation and Forbes comes out with a "Who is the richest celebrity in the world?" list every week, it has made people want to try to get this life also.  The media has glamorized a celebrity's lifestyle.  Now you got everybody wanting to fly on a private jet. 

Now if you have private jet money cool, but if you have Greyhound Bus money at best, you most definitely need not to use other people's money trying to pose. Not cool.  What happen to work hard, play hard? Now, it's work somewhat, play harder. I cannot support this new attitude. 

Do you think the sensationalism of the rich and famous has added to people wanting to act like celebrities?

No comments:

Post a Comment