Monday, August 12, 2013

#IAdmirePaul

Hey everybody!!!  When you think of figures in the Bible that inspire most people, some go-to's are Jesus, Noah, or Job.  Now don't get me wrong, these guys are awesome.  But an apostle that inspires me to reevaluate my whole life is the Apostle Paul. 

Paul (formerly Saul) was not somebody you wanted to be friends with when we first meet him in the Bible. Because of misdirected zeal, homeboy was persecuting Christians left and right, even women and children.  He wasn't even remorseful about it because he thought this is what God wanted him to do.  Yep, he thought God wanted him to kill these nonviolent people that weren't a threat to a flea.  Well, Jesus was not having it and blinded Paul.  When Paul started to pray and believe the truth, his sight was restored.  He then went on to preach the good news and make disciples. 

One thing I admire about him is his humility.  At 1 Corinthians 15:9, 10, Paul admits that he did not deserve to be called an apostle.  He understood that what he had done in the past was bad...really bad.  He wasn't the reason that the disciple-making work was being done but because of God's undeserved kindness.  He was only doing what God wanted him to do.  Paul's ability to endure hard times puts your worst day to shame.  While on missionary trips, Paul was shipwrecked, beaten, stoned, had sleepless nights, went hungry, and was probably going blind (2 Corinthians 11:23-28 and Acts 23:1-5).   Yet, he never stopped preaching.  When I'm in traffic too long, I'm ready to roundhouse kick every car on the highway.  There is a lot I could learn from the Apostle Paul.

People nowadays use being imperfect as an excuse to mess up.  But Paul, too, was imperfect and made note of that.  But he tried to work on improving his flaws.  And even though he was a leader in the congregation, he wasn't puffed with power.  Instead, he led with love and compassion.  People become the shift manager at Burger King and the power goes straight to their head. 

Paul was awesome! When I'm ready to throw in the towel, I think of Paul and his perseverance.  I meditate on what Paul had to overcome and I realize that I can go another day.  Not every day is going to be easy but like Paul we can depend on Jehovah's strength to get us through any trail or tribulation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment